Thursday, March 29, 2012

Module 2: Cognitivism as a Learning Theory

After reading the blog posts from both Kerr (2007) and Kapp (2007), I find I agree with much of what was said between the two bloggers.  I agree that education should not be taught in terms of one learning theory or another but instead should be taught using a mesh of the theories.  From the behaviorist theory, I believe it has been learned the learner is not just, "an empty black box."  There are thoughts and processes within the user that matter in learning.  From the cognivist theory, I believe it has been learned the learner is not exactly like a computer.  Activities outside of the computer can have dramatic effects on how the information is perceived and processed.  I believe research should be continued on how the interactions between each of these theories can better be understood so the learner has the best opportunities to learn.


References:

Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filter, not blinker [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html

Kapp, K. (2007, January 2). Out and about: Discussion on educational schools of thought [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://www.kaplaneduneering.com/kappnotes/index.php/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational/

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jason. It was easy to respond to your blog post, as I share your sentiments and those posted by Kerr and Kapp that education should be taught using an array of learning theories. I agree that no set one will explain the learning process of the majority of humans. In responding to my post, Ray Cox gave me something to think about that I want to pass on to you. He basically said that no one learning theory work for us as individuals because it depends on our experiences and how these experiences shape how we acquire information and knowledge. Therefore, we may appeal to one learning theory in learning one thing, but another one in learning something different. I think that this was an interesting point.

    ReplyDelete